Managing an Eating Disorder with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Anxiety is the root cause of eating disorders.
- Management of anxiety helps in management of eating disorders.
- Since eating disorders are anxiety based behaviors meaning that anxiety is trigger experience the eating disorder becomes the ineffective behavioral attempt to control the anxiety.
- When anxiety makes us anxious enough we lose our appetite, who wants to eat when we are so worried that something awful is going to happen.
- Anxiety as a trigger for eating disorders utilizes Obsessive Compulsive behaviors; what is the difference on the one hand between ritualistic hand washing to rid ourselves of fear of germs or on the other hand obsessive compulsive restricting calories or purging to manage anxiety over feelings of inadequacy.
- When anxiety is controlled with medications then Cognitive Behavioral Therapy can “deconstruct” the fears of inadequacy leading to more successful control.